Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

'71 750 Commando Rebuild

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Re: '71 750 Commando Rebuild

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:30 am

ELMZY wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:Excellent work there ELMZY, you continue to impress. Please keep the updates coming.

About the only thing you didn't explain fully was... the handle bars. What are they exactly?

What's the paintwork plans for the tinware?

Thanks FE.
I bought the bars locally. Genuine A.N. 06-4132, UK or EU Interstate I think.
They were 31 1/2" wide, 2 1/2 rise, 5" pull back.
Too wide for me - especially if I use bar end mirrors.
So, I cut 2" off each end and they're just under 28" total width now.
It's all about triangulation for me. Wide bars tend to open me up too much - and get uncomfortable on a long ride.
Paint work, hmmm - I haven't been drinking this time so hopefully it won't come across as a ramble.
I used to be an Auto Spraypainter back in another life so I'll be brushing the cobwebs off and hitting it with 2 pack basecoat and clear - when the time comes.
I'll be making my own stencils for the logos (on a vinyl cutter). I'll stick them on a silver base, spray with either Gunmetal Grey Met or Graphite, peel the decals off and Topcoat Clear the lot.
No colour on this one - 50 shades of Grey so to speak.

Thanks.

You do know that Matt supplies stencils for his very subtly modified / neat version of the logo's ?
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby ELMZY » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:20 am

Fast Eddie wrote:You do know that Matt supplies stencils for his very subtly modified / neat version of the logo's ?

No I didn't know that he sells them. I'm trying hard to do as much as I can myself on this build - if I'm capable and the quality is good.
Although, I am following his lead and modifying my own early version of the logo and scaling it down to 5".
I agree the later versions are a little chunky and oversized for a Roadster tank.
I'm using Silhouette Studio Software.

IMG_7168.JPG
Decal
IMG_7168.JPG (87.02 KiB) Viewed 304 times
ELMZY
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 29

Postby Fast Eddie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:04 am

ELMZY wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:You do know that Matt supplies stencils for his very subtly modified / neat version of the logo's ?

No I didn't know that he sells them. I'm trying hard to do as much as I can myself on this build - if I'm capable and the quality is good.
Although, I am following his lead and modifying my own early version of the logo and scaling it down to 5".
I agree the later versions are a little chunky and oversized for a Roadster tank.
I'm using Silhouette Studio Software.

IMG_7168.JPG

Fairy Nuff mate.

If you've got the skills for something, do it.

Stuff like that would take me months. And still look like sh*t !
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby gortnipper » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:34 pm

You can also get vinyl transfers on your side of the ditch - http://norton-decals.letsfixit.info/index.html

I got some for my restomod and although I havent tried them yet, they seem pretty nice.
gortnipper
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby ELMZY » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:25 am

gortnipper wrote:You can also get vinyl transfers on your side of the ditch - http://norton-decals.letsfixit.info/index.html

I got some for my restomod and although I havent tried them yet, they seem pretty nice.

Thanks for the link gortnipper.
I've already purchased the one I like from them. I scanned it, then imported it into the vinyl cutter program for tweaking.
Here's the info that came with it - off their website :
Part No. 028650 (A2/865), 4 5/8", Black on clear vinyl. For Fuel Tank on Models 1, 16H, 18, ES2, 30, 40, 30M, 40M.
deacal.jpg
decal
deacal.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 219 times
ELMZY
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:11 am

ELMZY... you've gone quiet... wassapnin with the build... no slacking man...!
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby ELMZY » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:ELMZY... you've gone quiet... wassapnin with the build... no slacking man...!

A change in circumstances FE.
Prioritising cash flow - gunna be lean Christmas.
"Such is Life".
Unlike the Irish/Aussie battler that coined that phrase - I'll live on ........ long enough to get the bike going hopefully.
I'm in the process of "recycling" assets so I should have a few shekels for the Norton by early 2017.
ELMZY
VIP MEMBER

Postby Fast Eddie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:54 pm

ELMZY wrote:
Fast Eddie wrote:ELMZY... you've gone quiet... wassapnin with the build... no slacking man...!

A change in circumstances FE.
Prioritising cash flow - gunna be lean Christmas.
"Such is Life".
Unlike the Irish/Aussie battler that coined that phrase - I'll live on ........ long enough to get the bike going hopefully.
I'm in the process of "recycling" assets so I should have a few shekels for the Norton by early 2017.

Sorry to hear that mate, as you say though, that's life!

Wrap it up and put it out of sight and resist the temptation to liquidate it Elmzy. Hope things improve ASAP.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby gtsun » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:08 am

Just read your whole build thread, really hope things turn around for you so you can continue it I was really enjoying it. I get sidetracked and little things that should be done in a week drag on for months but you don't seem to have that problem so you've one more than half of the battle already. Hope your troubles are just Financial because money is just money & it comes and goes. Not to downplay the stress involved. Hope to see your project continuing soon.
gtsun
VIP MEMBER

Previous

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds