After putting the build on the back burner for a while I finally got up a head of steam and after some thought decided to take the advice of the Norton elders and split the crankcase
Hobot threw out the challenge to be a bone-a-fide restorer by splitting the crank so thats what I did
There was about half a teaspoon of material in the sludge trap.
Since using a different type of oil to what the PO used may free the sludge causing a blockage in a journal somewhere was not worth chancing
Everything else was good.
Superblend bearings are in the big end and I am not sure if this was a later thing or introduced on the Mk3
My box was cracked badly so the older box I found needs to be modified to suit
Differences between Mk 3 box on the left and the older box on the right are -
Spigot needs to be milled on the older box to take the cross over shaft
Neutral light switch needs to be tapped in and hole chamfered on the neutral locator to take the O ring
Bottom end assembled
I am thinking at this point I will call the bike Murphy as it seems that is the law it abides by
Putting the pistons back in only having needed to replace the rings at this point because thankfully the pistons and Barrels were good
Barrels were put on the block without a gasket, just a good quality sealant
You should be able to see fishing line fed up through the engine to the top of the barrel which had a piece of cotton rag looped around the end
This was pulled through to clear any remnant of sealant etc which might potentially cause a blockage
The Darlek is almost complete!
Into the frame goes the powerplant
The SU carburettor is a curiosity and it will be interesting to see how this goes as there is not a huge amount of intel on the use of this on a bike
A new primary chain was no different just a couple of mm shorter. It seems crazy not to be able to adjust these but I guess they don't wear much
The rims will be good for a while yet and though there are a couple of blisters on them stainless spokes really cleaned up the look of the rims
Electrics are in and everything works!
Both front & rear matser cylinders needed work. The front had the half inch SS resleeve and the back seems to be taking OK with just the seal kit but it seems to be still a bit iffy. They are not meant to be that flash at the best of times so it's hard to know what is good