Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

1972 Roadster Rebuild

Member's Norton Restoration Projects

Re: 1972 Roadster Rebuild

Postby pantah_good » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:26 pm

I'm getting ready to take the gearbox apart, and after cleaning it up I noticed this crack coming from the edge of the gearbox shell where it mates with the inner cover. The shell is bulged out some around the crack. Before I open it up, are there any educated guesses as to what might have caused that? Does that damage look repairable?
Bill
Access Norton Attachments
1972 Norton Roadster Combat
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby gortnipper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:25 pm

pantah_good wrote:Laced the new 18" WM3 Borrani to my nice new Madass rear hub today. I hope the spoke pattern looks correct to the experts here...the new rim's drilling was slightly different from the original rim.

When I was talking to the guy who I am buying my rims from here in NZ (who has been at it a long, long time) he had some interesting things to say about the new Borrani rims when I asked about them. His best guess is that they are made in China and then finished and drilled in Italy. He told me that Buchanan's had told him that they had rejected about 180 out of 240 rims (I think this are roughly the amounts he said) shipped to them from Borrani. He no longer sells them.
gortnipper
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby Danno » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:16 pm

pantah_good wrote:I'm getting ready to take the gearbox apart, and after cleaning it up I noticed this crack coming from the edge of the gearbox shell where it mates with the inner cover. The shell is bulged out some around the crack. Before I open it up, are there any educated guesses as to what might have caused that? Does that damage look repairable?
Bill

I'm sure that can be tig-welded, but you need to look inside and see if there's a cracked bearing seat or something else that has been pushed out of shape. Cosmetically it's repairable, but structural repair is another matter.

Danno

Re: New Sign On

Postby Danno » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm

Danno wrote:That is the gnarliest exhaust I've ever seen still clinging to a motorcycle. :shock:

The one on the flood bike wasn't much better.

Danno

Postby L.A.B. » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:24 pm

pantah_good wrote:The shell is bulged out some around the crack. Before I open it up, are there any educated guesses as to what might have caused that?

The layshaft 1st gear pinion is directly behind that area, so I'd guess a piece of metal (gear tooth perhaps?) may have got drawn in between the gear and the case?
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby Danno » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I was thinking that. Should be a fairly straightforward fix.

Danno

Postby pantah_good » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am

I'm thinking there is no saving this kickstart shaft due to the mangled splines in two places - right?
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby pantah_good » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:35 am

gortnipper wrote:When I was talking to the guy who I am buying my rims from here in NZ (who has been at it a long, long time) he had some interesting things to say about the new Borrani rims when I asked about them. His best guess is that they are made in China and then finished and drilled in Italy. He told me that Buchanan's had told him that they had rejected about 180 out of 240 rims (I think this are roughly the amounts he said) shipped to them from Borrani. He no longer sells them.

On both these new Borrani rims I laced up I noticed there were bumps at the butt joint weld areas that were a little larger than I'm used to. There was no way to true them out, the beads ran good, and they really weren't going to be noticeable when the bike is fully assembled, so I kept going. I like the Borrani's because they are not anodized and come already nicely polished.
Bill
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 am

pantah_good wrote:I'm thinking there is no saving this kickstart shaft due to the mangled splines in two places - right?

I've seen MUCH worse that still held on reasonably well; but if you've got the money...
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
too many bikes to list, including:
952 Prototype, MkIII Interstate, Combat Dunstall, Triton
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 30

Postby Danno » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:19 pm

grandpaul wrote:
pantah_good wrote:I'm thinking there is no saving this kickstart shaft due to the mangled splines in two places - right?

I've seen MUCH worse that still held on reasonably well; but if you've got the money...

As long as the lever clamps on tight with no wiggle, it'll be ok. I would file down the boogered splines so they don't screw up the splines on the lever. If you have it all apart, it's easy to replace, but if the box is still together, try the above.

Danno

Postby pantah_good » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:56 pm

It's apart. When I pulled the engine and gear box out of the frame, the ONLY way I could get the kickstart lever off the shaft was to basically destroy the lever clamp. I justified doing that because I'd already decided to get the RGM designed kickstart lever. The last thing I want on this bike is a sketchy kickstarter, so I'm going to replace that buggered shaft with the shaft & bushing from Andover, which is priced reasonably well. I'm not sure why the shaft assembly from Old Britts is so much more expensive, just because it includes the pawl parts. I'm assuming they are both Andover parts.
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby pantah_good » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Finally got the gearbox housing back from my aluminum welder friend of a friend. When I got the box disassembled there was a loose piece of broken off kick start pawl floating around inside, which was about 1/4" dia., that had gotten dragged thru against the case by 1st gear. Used my Dremmel tool to rough down the weld, then draw filed the gasket surface down by holding one end of the file onto the opposite gasket surfaces and going back and forth with the other end of the file. The three case parts will now get vapor blasted and the outer cover polished.
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:45 am

Might be too late, but you should remove all the studs and the alignment dowels, then finish the mating surface on a true, flat surface with a large sheet of fine sandpaper.
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER

Postby pantah_good » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:09 am

That hadn't occurred to me, probably because of the dowels. I assume the studs would screw out with a couple of jam nuts, but what about the dowel pins? Use heat and vice grips?
1974 BMW R90S
1997 Ducati 748/853
pantah_good
VIP MEMBER

Postby grandpaul » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:52 am

First, a little penetrant, and tap with a screwdriver handle. Repeat a couple of times over an hour.

Then, heat and vice grips (gently, don't smash them)
GrandPaul
author "Old Bikes"
grandpaul
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Norton Motorcycle Rebuilds