Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

1972 Commandos - a couple of questions

Classic Norton Commando Motorcycles.

Re: 1972 Commandos - a couple of questions

Postby Danno » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:29 am

Methinks someone has used a Hi-Rider front brake cable as a replacement.

This bike appears to have been gone through at some point (check wrench witness marks on the cylinder base nuts) and appears to need nothing, although I would put a real front fender on it. It shouldn't, considering the asking price. Buy it and ride it, and if there are issues, they will reveal themselves as time and miles pass.

Danno

Postby L.A.B. » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 am

Danno wrote:Methinks someone has used a Hi-Rider front brake cable as a replacement.

A 1972 model with a drum front brake and small MCH66 headlamp suggests it could have been a Hi-Rider, originally.

Danno wrote:This bike appears to have been gone through at some point (check wrench witness marks on the cylinder base nuts) and appears to need nothing, although I would put a real front fender on it. It shouldn't, considering the asking price. Buy it and ride it, and if there are issues, they will reveal themselves as time and miles pass.

The rear brake cable should at least be routed correctly, over, not under, the Z-plate.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
L.A.B.
VIP MEMBER
View Photo Album - Images: 5

Postby gripper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Can't see any Mikuni's, I know the exchange rate is variable but that would be the same in pounds sterling over here

gripper

Postby al1985 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Wow, I certainly wouldn't have caught that the headlight was the smaller hi-rider one. I'm guessing that conversion has been done because the hi-rider is a harder sell here right now.

I went and took a good look, but I don't think it's the one for me. Really nice cosmetic condition but little known about the mechanical condition. Frankly I don't want to be buying an $8k bike that really needs engine/gearbox looked at. And it wasn't just marking its territory, it was really going for it.

Trying to follow the prices more nationally, but it seems to me that around $8k isn't so bad if they'd known the history better. If anyone has a better understanding of current values I'd love to hear it.

Man, that sound when it starts. Incredible. Went back to my Honda twin and it's just so "respectable" in comparison.

al1985

Previous

Return to Norton Commando Classic Motorcycles