Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

109 mph IOM lap with license plate and blinkers

Here you can post what you like. It must be Motorcycle related.

109 mph IOM lap with license plate and blinkers

Postby worntorn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Steve Parrish entered a bone stock Thrux r in the TT parade lap. With John McGuinness and others of that ilk in the running, the parade became a race. Lots of early 2000s Works 4 cylinder race bikes in the mix,but Parrish outran most of them.
The old boy can still ride.

http://www.fortheride.com/stories/watch ... evelation/

Glen

worntorn

Re: 109 mph IOM lap with license plate and blinkers

Postby Matt Spencer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Bout Time someone tried it with one of those 961s , if we havnt said it before . :wink:
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 am

It's a long way around you know Matt... :wink:
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby worntorn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:27 am

Steve Parrish rode a hotted up 961 around the iom two years ago. I can't recall the exact speed, it was respectable, mid nineties I believe.
He wants to give the Triumph another go with fairing and race tires fitted. He's also planning on upping the gearing as he was topped out and bumping into the Rev limiter at 140 mph in sixth.
Glen

worntorn

Postby Fast Eddie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:39 pm

worntorn wrote: as he was topped out and bumping into the Rev limiter at 140 mph in sixth.
Glen

Strewth !
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:46 pm

This Bloke had the same problem , but I think at 145 , 1 tooth down . :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2PsB6HnFyw

Not Deridng Mr Parish's efforts , on the overweight barge :x
but sometime I mull on what oneofthese'd get nowadays on the smoother stickier circuit .

Then if ititdad stickier tyres , two more gears , disc brakes .....

Be good to asee one thrashed mercilessly by a top line nutter round there , again .

Cant find the 99.99 Triumph onathe u tube , with all the modern tripe cluttering it up .

Matt Spencer

Postby worntorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:15 pm

It's a long, long way from 99.9 to 109 at the tt. We have to remember that Mr. Parrish retired thirty years ago. He' ll be an Old Age Pensioner next year!
A racer well past his prime rattling off a 109 mph lap on a common road bike is remarkable.

worntorn

Postby ashman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:32 pm

worntorn wrote:It's a long, long way from 99.9 to 109 at the tt. We have to remember that Mr. Parrish retired thirty years ago. He' ll be an Old Age Pensioner next year!
A racer well past his prime rattling off a 109 mph lap on a common road bike is remarkable.

Once you got it you never lose it, at 58 now I am still riding the same as I was in my late teens and I am still keeping up so far :lol:

Anyway Glen hows the Thruxton R going.

Ashley

ashman

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Matt Spencer wrote:This Bloke had the same problem , but I think at 145 , 1 tooth down . :P

but sometime I mull on what oneofthese'd get nowadays on the smoother stickier circuit .

Then if ititdad stickier tyres , two more gears , disc brakes .....

Be good to asee one thrashed mercilessly by a top line nutter round there , again .

Cant find the 99.99 Triumph onathe u tube , with all the modern tripe cluttering it up .

I agree Matt, it would be very interesting to see a modern rider with modern tyres and suspension internal etc rider a well prepared replica of that and see what happened.

I think the speed would be well beaten. We can see that with the Manx's, today's boys are lapping faster than the GP heroes of old, I cannot believe it's cos they're better riders, it's the tyres and suspension and better road surface that makes the biggest difference I reckon.
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby worntorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 pm

ashman wrote:
worntorn wrote:It's a long, long way from 99.9 to 109 at the tt. We have to remember that Mr. Parrish retired thirty years ago. He' ll be an Old Age Pensioner next year!

Once you got it you never lose it, at 58 now I am still riding the same as I was in my late teens and I am still keeping up so far :lol:

Anyway Glen hows the Thruxton R going.

Ashley

I'm still enjoying it a lot Ashley, it's pretty hard to fault . The Thrux 1200 has my kind of powerband. It pulls hard right from low down, just like a Commando but x2. :shock:

Glen

worntorn

Postby worntorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Fast Eddie wrote:
Matt Spencer wrote:This Bloke had the same problem , but I think at 145 , 1 tooth down . :P

I agree Matt, it would be very interesting to see a modern rider with modern tyres and suspension internal etc rider a well prepared replica of that and see what happened.

I think the speed would be well beaten. We can see that with the Manx's, today's boys are lapping faster than the GP heroes of old, I cannot believe it's cos they're better riders, it's the tyres and suspension and better road surface that makes the biggest difference I reckon.

They have moved up a little. The fastest lap ever recorded for an 86 bore Molnar Manx is 104 MPH.
Mike Hailwood won the Senior TT on a Norton Manx in 1961? His race average was 100.48, haven't found the number for his fastest lap in that race. Given that the Molnar Manxes are said to be making about ten bhp more than a Works Manx from 1961, and then adding in the improved course, better tires etc, it's not that much is it?

worntorn

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:55 am

Well, earlier we said a 9mph increase was "a long, long way" so a 4mph increase had to be at least a long way!

But, hair splitting aside, I think we're saying the same thing, for modern lads to be beating the great Mike the Bike really is saying something. I just firmly believe it is NOT cos they're better riders than he! It's the better brakes, suspension, tyres, road surface and, last but not least, that extra 10bhp (if that's true).
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby worntorn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:37 am

Agreed.
Discussion of the modern developed Manx results with top young rider on board puts Steve Parrish's 109 mph Parade Lap in perspective- a great result for an old man out for a Sunday stroll on an overweight barge.

Glen

worntorn

Postby Matt Spencer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 am

Was wondering if he had the ' race kit ' in it .

If we have a whip round for one , and ' wind him up ' a bit , things may improve . :P :wink:

Olde Perry was still racing at 80 , amoungst others . Pre War ' Dunlop Universals ' arnt recomended , however. evenon a Velo . :(

Matt Spencer

Postby worntorn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:58 pm

The race cam for the R was cancelled after the big
Harley/EPA fine in the US.
Supposedly it stole some midrange in favour of top end. Wouldn't want to do anything to take away from that magnificent midrange, so maybe it's just as well.

worntorn

Next

Return to Motorcycle Related Discussions