Welcome to the Access Norton Forum. Login as a VIP member to remove the advertising banners.

109 mph IOM lap with license plate and blinkers

Here you can post what you like. It must be Motorcycle related.

Re: 109 mph IOM lap with license plate and blinkers

Postby Matt Spencer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:48 am

Bugg ua , BOTHER .

Looks like He still needs a few mph to match Hailwood on the Honda 500 . :shock:

Mind over matter there , Id think .. matter being the Honda . Must be slipping . I even used a capital H . :? :P

Makes you wonder if it was ' promo ' , rather tha P R . :( ( the race kit. were said to be awkward to aquire , back in the 60s too .
Youll need to look for the ' Back Door ' . They cant've meltewd em down yet . Tell the Boss I sent you . :wink:

phpBB [video]

A not so young knowledeable geezers grasp , on the 67 I.o.M. T.T. , some nice clear photograhy , and appears unbiased. Thusfar . :)
The Japanese response to ' styling ' , was to add more .

Matt Spencer

Postby worntorn » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Parrish has already bested that with the 109 on the Triumph Street barge. Mike the bike set a lap record of 108.77 on the Honda in 67 and that record held for 8 years.

Glen

worntorn

Postby acotrel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 pm

A friend mine raced a Manx on the IOM in the 60s. When I asked him how he liked it, he said 'when I first went there I did an 84 MPH lap, but if you keep going there you get faster'. What I don't understand is how riders can get their minds around that course, when I have trouble memorising every aspect of even our short circuits. Surely you cannot ride the IOM on a situationalist basis, taking every corner as it comes ? I know our Bill Horseman went there and won the Classic TT first time out, but he is very different to most of us.

acotrel

Postby Fast Eddie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:03 am

acotrel wrote:A friend mine raced a Manx on the IOM in the 60s. When I asked him how he liked it, he said 'when I first went there I did an 84 MPH lap, but if you keep going there you get faster'. What I don't understand is how riders can get their minds around that course, when I have trouble memorising every aspect of even our short circuits. Surely you cannot ride the IOM on a situationalist basis, taking every corner as it comes ? I know our Bill Horseman went there and won the Classic TT first time out, but he is very different to most of us.

The good riders definitely memorise the course Alan, there is no way they could possibly ride it as fast as they do otherwise.

It still has to be one of, if not the most dangerous events in motorcycle racing though.

I built a bike to race at the Manx. They say one Manx event is equivilant to a years short circuit racing in terms of its toll on the machine, so my plan was to ride the bike on short circuits for a full season to test it out first.

That same year, my mate (an experienced Manx racer) was riding there and texted me from his hospital bed saying the ward "was like a war zone" with all of the casualties. He inadvertently had a rather profound effect on me because I thought "but it's NOT a war zone, it's an amiture event, done for a HOBBY"!! Why would blokes put their families at risk of being fatherless etc just for a hobby?! That same year,whilst I was mulling this over, John Lodder died there in practice! John was a very experienced Manx racer. His death really hammered home the point about just how dangerous it can be there. That sealed it for me, and I never did race there.
Access Norton VIP Paying Member
Fast Eddie
VIP MEMBER

Postby cjandme » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 am

Fast Eddie wrote:...... Why would blokes put their families at risk ..... His death really hammered home the point about just how dangerous it can be there. That sealed it for me, and I never did race there.
My father used to race speedway "back in the day" ( just after the WWII ) and he told me that he had had aspirations to go to the IOM, before immigrating to the U.S. He said later he had a similar experience to yours Nigel, and he backed away from it too. -- he went on to live a long and full life.
Norton Fan by Bro w/'75MKIII

cjandme

Previous

Return to Motorcycle Related Discussions